ESUT university ICT Center
It has become a common fact that ICT is a backbone for almost all activities in academics, research, industry and governance. As a matter of fact, many institutions, industries and governments put their ICT office right under the chief executive office within their institutional structure and at ministerial level when it comes to government structure. This supports the fact that an exhaustive use of ICT is a key for organizational success.
The Enugu State University of Science and Technology has two main ICT centers, one at the each of the University campus.
The broad duty and responsibility of the ICT Center is to support the ICT deployments in teaching, learning, research and overall administration at DBU.
The Vision of the ICT center is to become a center of excellence in utilizing the potential of ICT in learning, innovation and education environment for the benefit of ESUT and the nation’s development as well.
The ICT Center has overall mission of proving state-of-the-art ICT services to students, faculty, researchers, and staff so that it facilitates the work of the university in its different areas like instruction, general research, administration, and service to the wider community in line with the mission of ESUT.
The objective of establishing the ICT Center is to empower its capability to assist academics, research, consultancy, and overall administrative tasks at ESUT with a broader range of ICT Services. Moreover, the ICT Center enforces policies and standards, conducts research, consultancy, and provides short term training in the area of ICT for students, instructors, administrative officials and the outsider communities.
Duties and responsibilities
All the duties and responsibilities of the ICT Center focus at assisting academics, research, and consultancy by exploiting the potential of ICT. Some of its expected activities are described below.
1. Develop ICT strategic plan aiming at providing broad rang services and advising the university management on matters related to ICT.
2. Administer and upgrade the existing network and Internet infrastructure and provide relevant network-based services.
3. Provide hardware/software maintenance, and User support services.
4. Enhance local content that provide up-to-date information about public relations, academic research, consultancy, and other social activities in the university.
5. Plan, design, implement and/or consult the automation of different processes in the university. It is also responsible to follow up existing applications.
6. Establish and enforce ICT use standards and policies in the university.
7. Ensures that the university community has sufficient access to ICT Services.
8. Provide research, consultancy, short term training and, outreach services to the larger community.
Outcome of the establishment of ICT center will:
1. Be sufficient in man power in different case teams.
2. Have sustainable budget.
3. Enhance quality of service of ICT in DBU.
The ICT Center is constituted from ICT director, System development case team, infrastructure case team and user support case team.